Sunday, May 3, 2015

May Already?!

I can't believe its already May!

We have been in South Carolina for 9 months now.  And have been super busy from the moment our feet hit the southern ground.

Its amazing to me the difference in how people interact here.  In California, most people don't talk to you unless they absolutely have to.  Here they stopped us in the stores to find out where we moved from because they hadn't seen us around before.

Also paying almost a 3rd of what I paid for rent in California has made life much more pleasant.  I'm not nearly as stressed as I was there. 

Plus the move has proven that it was the best decision.  Even the kids have thanked me for moving out here even though they fought me at the time.



Warrior is a junior this year and has been busy with studying for SATs, lacrosse, and a club at school that raises money all year for St Jude's.  Then the weekend before spring break the teacher rides from here to Memphis on a moped to take a check to the hospital.  The students are allowed to ride in a van following him.  So much fun and such a great cause.

He's also driving.  Let me tell you the thought of him driving isn't nearly as terrifying as actually being in the car with him behind the wheel.  Don't get me wrong, he's a great driver, but its all these redneck drivers that scare me.  No one around here believes in turn signals.

Sugar Pea is in 7th grade this year and has blossomed into an amazing girl.  We haven't had a bully problem since we left California.  No worries about someone commenting about her not having a dad.  No worries about them throwing things in her hair.  She's focused on her friends and school.  She's also in the middle school club for raising money to St Jude.  She was in the archery club at school, and active in the grief club at school.  Her counselor told me she's amazing helping other kids know that what they are feeling is normal and that they aren't alone.  She's the only one in the club that has lost a parent, but she realizes that no matter who you've lost, grief can be hard to deal with.  I'm so proud of my girl.

I had her IEP meeting 2 weeks ago and can't believe how much progress she has made.  She is officially done with speech therapy!  This is a huge step.  And her teacher says that not having people constantly making fun of her has brought out her confidence, so she isn't afraid to speak up.  TO think, had the school dealt with the bully issue several years ago, she could have been done with speech long before now.

She's also made huge progress with her processing disorders.  She still gets a little extra time, especially on tests, but we feel she doesn't need the resource time she had before.  This means next year she'll be able to take more electives! 

She's also decided that she wants to be a nurse when she grows up.  Not just any nurse, but a nurse in a cardiologist office.  And a nurse that designs cool looking scrubs as a hobby.  She's done 2 days of job shadowing nurses.  One in a peds office and one in a cardiologist office.  Warrior job shadowed the cardiologist too.


Its hard to believe they only have a month left of school.  I'm looking forward to it, but it also makes me sad because then I will have a senior and an 8th grader.  I'm not ready for that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad the move has been good for all of you. Yes, people her in CA aren't very friendly. I've noticed the same thing. I'm glad your kids are both doing really well. It is scary when they start driving. I'm also looking forward to the end of the school year, but have the same feelings about my kids growing up.

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...