Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Trying to turn into a Germaphobe

Do you use a disinfectant cleaner?  If so which one?

I've never been one of those people that's been obsessed with germs.  I knew they were there, and always will be.  I didn't obsess with them because I knew I couldn't defeat them.

Now, at age 30something, I have to learn to be a germaphobe.  This isn't easy.  Especially this time of year.  Both kids have already been sick and we're only into the 2nd week of November.

After my husband's transplant he'll be on a ton of meds to help suppress his immune system.  This means all those seemingly harmless germs can be a huge problem for him.  And living with 2 little evil germ magnets doesn't make this easy.


We've been working on this over the last few months.  Trying to slowly work it into a habit instead of having to make it a drastic change all at once. We've bought face masks to wear if someone is sick, and for hubby to wear when he has to be around sick people.

We've also stocked up on a ton of hand sanitizer.  The kids' school is really big on sanitizer and having the kids use it all the time, so this hasn't been that much of a change in using it at home.  The kids just use it a lot more than they were before. 

The big problem we've run into is parents sending their kids to school sick.  In Warrior's class, a few weeks ago 2 kids were sent home in one day because they were running fevers.  They even told the teacher that they had the fevers before school, but their parents still made them come.  This has always irked me, but it does even more now.

Right now my husband getting sick means he's put as inactive on the transplant list.  That means if a heart becomes available for him, he will be over looked.  With his blood type that could mean waiting a lot longer for another one.  So we're trying to keep him as healthy as possible.

The biggest problem we have is what cleaner to use.  Bleach is out of the question.  Even diluted it affects my husband's breathing.

I bought a thing of Lysol but after reading the directions, you have to leave it on for 10 minutes.  I don't want to spend the whole day cleaning if I don't have to.

I also bought disinfecting spray, but that I can't use it while hubby's home.  We've also stocked up on wipes and have been using them, but I'd like to be able to save them for things that I can't spray and wipe down, like laptops.

So what do you use?


No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...